Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weeee're BAAAaaaaack!

Well, we got back last night from my interview at Midwestern. We had a great time...except for the time I spent waiting to interview! They said they will probably have close to 3,000 applicants this year, they will interview 500- 600, and select 110 of those for their class. They have filled around 75 positions so far and will interview for a couple of more weeks. There were 16 of us there at the interview from almost every state in the west and a few from the east. The actual interview only lasted about 15 minutes and the rest of the day was presentations and tours. I was last to interview because it was alphabetical order and it took about 2 hours to get to me. Needless to say, those 2 hours weren't my most favorite ones! I hope it went well for the interviewers. It was hard to tell on my part. Some parts were good, some parts were maybe not so much. They said they would let us know within a week or two whether we are accepted, not accepted, or put on an alternate-wait list.

It is a beautiful campus as you can tell from the pictures we took.




Brindy enjoyed driving around in our rental car as you can tell by the look on her face.

This next picture is the name of the "Lucky" building where anyone with the last name Poll gets to study.

Brielle was still as cute as can be.

We stayed in a hotel that was right across the street from where the NFC champions, the Arizona Cardinals, play

The sunsets were pretty, even looking east.

We ate at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant. Brielle got a nice balloon out of it.

We went to the Phoenix Zoo. This a picture of the Oryx (mom, now you know for future crossword puzzles what they actually look like).

This is a Sahuaro (Saguaro) cactus at the zoo.

Brielle liked seeing the Lions



This tree was in the zoo. We didn't actually pick anything off of it, but we did put one that had already fallen in our backpack for later. They were probably going to throw it away, right?!? I think it is a tangerine or some kind of orange.

Tiger. 'nuff said.

Brielle made friends with a baboon. Sometimes I feel like this when I look in the mirror in the morning.


The Mandrills were also friendly, at least behind glass. I think the zoo may have saved money by just putting makeup on the baboons and calling them Mandrills. What do you think?

Lots of pretty trees and plants and foliage and leaves and...


We actually got to go inside with the Squirrel monkeys. They could have jumped right on us if they had wanted to.

Erin this is for you. The Wallaby (they are the ones in the background, not the foreground...for those of you who haven't lived in Australia).

Leftover palm tree leaves.

We saw the Mesa temple.


Those are grapefruit trees on the temple grounds. We (well, I) snuck one of those that had fallen too.

We went to an orange grove and bought fresh oranges. They were the sweetest and softest I have ever eaten!


This is Brielle holding a Ponderosa Lemon. Yes, that's a lemon! It can be yours for only $1.00 at The Orange Patch

These are the forbidden fruits that I "saved" from the Arizona landfills.

Here's Brindy with all of our gear.

This trip was Brielle's first airplane ride. Here she is just before take-off for the return flight.

We had a great time. We hope that we get accepted so we can go back soon and you all can come see us and all of these fun things!

10 comments:

aLi said...

Oh Kim you are funny.

That looks like SUCH a WONDERFUL place to go! Especially since we're in the dead of winter and anything involving being outside is a blessing. Hello, you picked fruit off a tree in February! I hope you get accepted, too!!!! We're praying for you!

p.s. Brielle with the baboons was ADORABLE. You know how I am not a scrapbooker, well, I would scrapbook that one!!!

Devin & Amanda said...

I am glad to see that you flew Southwest and try to provide me with job security. Good luck to you! We hope you get it!!!

Britni said...

Looks like a fun place! Ohio would have been funner though!:) Good luck!

Heidi said...

Looks like you had a good time there! SO FUN!!!

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Thanks for this wonderful post!!! Now we have an idea of what Glendale is like. It kind of looks like a desert, doesn't it. You all look happy and excited to be there. Funny about yucca! That lemon is about as big as Beautiful Brielle's head! What a cutie! Her smiles just don't end! Love, Momma J

Jeni said...

Oh you ARE too funny! It looks like there's something for EVERYONE there! I can't wait to visit the Yucca Plant.
I am so glad for this update...I've been wondering like crazy how it all went...
What a fun adventure in the middle of this doldrum winter!

Kim-the-girl said...

How great that they will let you know so quickly... we'll keep on praying for you, just for good measure! What a fun place to live for a few years... we will definitely come to visit, you can count on us (just like we could always count on you guys! Thanks for that!)

LOVE YA!!!

Katie Morgan said...

Your baby is adorable!! She's getting so big!! How are things going for you guys?!

Jeni said...

I want to go to the zoo! Ari

Jeni said...

that looked soooooooooooooooooo fun! ari