Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Farmington Bay

You'll have to forgive me as I digress from the normal post. As many of you know, I (Kim) enjoy "stalking" birds. I took Brielle today (she slept most of the time) to Farmington Bay to see if we could find any Bald Eagles. We were unsuccessful at the Bald Eagle part, but saw a lot of other cool birds.
We saw this American Kestrel first (its a small hawk).

Then we saw a Rough-Legged hawk.

Here it is flying.

Here are some waterfowl. We saw some ruddy ducks(the black one on the bottom left) and some Northern Shovelers (the ones on top with the huge bill that looks like a shovel-the green and white ones are males and the darker one to the right is a female)

We saw around ten of these Northern Harriers(hawks).

I think this was a Harrier also.

On our way out we saw this Great Blue Heron(not a hawk).

Here is a video of a Northern Harrier flying along side of our car while driving out. It was a lot cooler to see in person.

I'll have to go in a couple of weeks and earlier in the day in order to see the Bald Eagles. Maybe I'll get some cool pictures to show you.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

how fun! I need to go out there! Was Brindy with you? or did you shoot that video while YOU were driving?

Kim and Brindy said...

It was just Brielle and me. No one else was on that stretch of road and I wasn't going very fast.

Glenn and Lance said...

You need to go to Rush Lake for some great bald eagles

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Both you and your photos!!! Way to get your daughter involved!!! love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Both you and your photos!!! Way to get your daughter involved!!! love, Mom